Sunday, February 17, 2008

My movie review for Ben Hur


Today I saw an interesting movie about Jews, Romans, and Jesus called Ben Hur. It was made in 1959 by William Wyler. A Jewish prince named Judah Ben Hur (Charton Heston) and his people are ruled by the Romans in the time the movie takes place. Messala (Stephen Boyd) , a Roman soldier, has been Judah's friend since they were young boys. But their friendship lays in tatters when Judah is angered by how the Jews are treated and ruled by the Romans. Messala imprisons him and he is condemned for life as a slave. He vows vengeance and escapes after three years and comes across a prophet named Jesus.

This movie boasts an amazing chariot racing scene and won eleven Oscars including Best Picture, Best Actor (Heston) and Best Director (Wyler). I would recommend anyone who is interested in Roman and/or Jewish history to see this Oscar winning movie. But one of the best facts about this movie is that it showed the cruelness the Romans inflicted on the Jews and that Jews were a powerful force with God in their hearts.

1 comment:

B.T. Makishima said...

Your review on Ben Hur really encouraged me to see it myself. You put in all the things I need to get excited about, and yet you left me at the edge of my swivel chair to know more.


Caesar, you've done it again!